Sunday, August 19, 2012

For Those Facing Impending Doom

129 Meters Volume 1
Title: For Those Facing Impending Doom: The End, In Three Phases

Recipient: Jacob McMurray

Track List:


  1. Ty Segall - Die Tonight
  2. Pulp - The Fear
  3. Graham Coxon - People of the Earth
  4. Kurt Bloch - Oh Maaan
  5. Jonathan Fire Eater - When The Curtain Calls For You
  6. Tame Impala - Apocalypse Dreams
  7. Adele - J'ai Peur Parfois
  8. Morrissey - Everyday is Like Sunday
  9. Erik Blood - Today's Lover
  10. Blur - To The End
  11. Dirty Beaches - Lord Knows Best
  12. Ash - Lose Control
  13. Angry Samoans - Lights Out
  14. Thee Oh Sees - The Dream
  15. The Nightgowns - Big Bang
  16. Elastica - Nothing Stays the Same
  17. The Clash - City of the Dead
  18. The Growlers - Graveyard's Full
  19. Spindrift - The New West
  20. Graham Coxon - All Has Gone
  21. Gene Austin - Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone

*secret track (embedded in track 21 is a lullabye cover of this song)


Liner notes:I wanted the mix to feel like three distinct phases, before, during, and after the end of the world.

A Few Words on the mix:
  • "You're gonna die tonight." -Ty Segall
  • "Here comes the fear again, the end is near again." -Pulp
  • "People of the earth, are you hearing me? I'm dropping you a line from the cosmic sea. There's nothing on the telly and the radio's shite, so I'm gonna blow you up with my meteorite." -Graham Coxon
  • "Everything is changing, and there's nothing that I can do." -Tame Impala
  • "Your blonde hair that I love is slipping through my fingers. How much longer will it be mine? I am afraid sometimes." -Adele (not the modern british singer... but the 60s french one.)
  • "Come Armageddon, come." -Morrissey
  • It looks like we might have made it, yes, it looks like we made it to the end." -Blur
  • "Here comes the night, it is coming on. The lights are low and our records on." -Ash
  • "Don't you hear the blast of what's become so massive? Larger than Alaska, come on let me ask you. Louder than the black train, do you hear the big bang? Taking over the town, taking every sound." -The Nightgowns
  • "The streets are filled with dread" - The Clash
  • "The graveyard's full, we're running out of Earth. But we can use the bones to build another church." -The Growlers
  • "Skies black and blue, ill treated. Even the moon feels cheated." -Graham Coxon
  • The last song was included for this reason: Many decades after our civilization has faded from memory, World Wars 3 and 4 have devastated our planetary resources and disease has decimated our population, alien life forms will arrive to explore the vast wasteland once known as Earth. Along with paperback copies of Twilight, Bic lighters and canyons filled with Safeway bags… one group will discover an ancient battery-powered record player that has been kept in near-mint condition sealed in a WWII-era bomb shelter just outside of what was once known as Akron, Ohio. These foreign beings would, after some trial and error, successfully operate the device, and proceed to listen to this song in its entirety before looting the shelter for fire extinguishers and scissors (which have become wildly popular in their solar system for interior decoration.) In short, though we fucked our planet up hardcore, please don't talk bad about our species after we're gone.

Personal note:The two hardest things about this project were keeping the track list within the 80 minutes of a CD-R and trying to find music that Jacob might
not already have. Jacob- I hope I succeeded in that a little bit, and I hope you like it! Sorry to include the lullaby Aerosmith cover... I just couldn't help myself. I tried to include songs that fit lyrically with the theme, or just sounded like what I might imagine imminent doom to might sound like. I tried to steer the mix into a "Jacob-y" direction based on his answers to the questionnaire and what I know about his taste in music.

I created the packaging and album art almost 100% by hand (with the exception of the lettering, which I bought from the scrap booking section of a craft store.) The artistic renditions of the apocalyptic came from an old text book called "Our Universe". I used a lot of superglue, rubber cement and exacto kniving to create the "eco-wallet" from poster board and various thick papers that I had around the house.



"Our Universe" images included:
  • Post-apocalyptic wastleland in red
  • Post-apocalyptic wasteland in grey
  • Category 5 hurricane (as seen from space)
  • Volcanic eruption
  • Forest fire
I forgot to take pictures of the album, except for one on my phone. Sorry! Jacob... if you have any shots of it feel free to add them.





1 comment:

  1. Jessi, I totally love this. I love the handmade quality of the packaging and the art from that Our Universe book is perfecto!

    I think I've listened to the mix about 10 times now - for ease of use (since I only have a cd player in the car and the computer) I ripped it and put it on my phone and just listened to it over and over. For me, that's how I can best get the overall rhythm of an album or mix.

    The Ty Segall song is a perfect opener. And while I can't say that I'm the hugest Pulp fan in Our Universe, I think that Jessi perhaps might be, so I have learned to love "The Fear". I love both Graham Coxon songs for how different they are - I love the Nick Drake-y-ness of "All Has Gone". I LOVE the Tame Impala song - that's definitely a record I need to buy. I think the Erik Blood track is a great addition, because it's such a different flavor than the rest of the songs. The Dirty Beaches track is delicious in its raspy nostalgic feeling. I have always heard of Ash, but never heard them, and I think "Lose Control" kicks ass. "The Dream" by Thee Oh Sees is probably my favorites amongst favs on the mix. I love it! As do I like the Nightgowns song - another record I need to get. "The New West" by Spindrift fulfills my requisite quota of awesome genre-fied instrumental music. And I actually love the lullaby-fied Aerosmith song. In fact, I'm refusing to watch the youtube clip of the real song, because then I fear I won't like the lullaby one as much.

    All in all, an excellent mix - a great overall composition, fitting post-apocalyptic DIY packaging, AND I have upwards of 10 records that I now need to buy. YAY. Thanks Jessi.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.