Sunday, August 12, 2012

Terminus Est




 

Mix Title: Terminus Est
Recipient: Brady Harvey (skythecoloroforangeade)
Track Listing: 

Disc 1: I Just Want to Start a Flame in Your Heart
The Breakup - 1. Heavy Vegetable – Doesn’t Mean Shit (1993) - 2. T. Rex – Broken Hearted Blues (1973) - 3. The Beatles – She Said She Said (1966) - 4. The Smiths – Ask (1986) - INTERLUDE - 5. Jacob McMurray – Steerpike (2008) - The Breakdown - 6. The Zombies – Care of Cell 44 (1968) - 7. Faust – Jennifer (1973) - 8. Bauhaus – Crowds (1980) - 9. White Fence – Your Last Friend Alive (2011) - 10. Bonnie “Prince” Billy – I See a Darkness (1999) - 11. Sonic Youth – Superstar (1994) - INTERLUDE - 12. Ástor Piazzolla – Tanguedia III (1986) - The Breaking - 13. Donovan – Season of the Witch (1966) - 14. Brian Eno – Blank Frank (1974) - 15. Freddie King – Going Down (1971) - 16. The Fall – Leave the Capitol (1981) - 17. Wire – Three Girl Rhumba (1977) - 18. The Ink Spots – I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire (1941)

Disc 2: This is the Line of Division
The Party - 1. Arthur Brown – Fire (1968) - 2. Big Black – Kerosene (1986) - 3. Gang of Four – I Found that Essence Rare (1979) - 4. The Hives – Declare Guerre Nucleaire (2000) - 5. Love – Seven & Seven Is (1966) - INTERLUDE - 6. Earth – Hung From the Moon (2008) - The Shit - 7. Justice – Genesis (2007) - 8. The Fall-Outs – Zombie (1994) - 9. The Elastik Band – Spazz (1967) - 10. Roy Brown – Butcher Pete, Part One (1949) - 11. Steven Jesse Bernstein – Come Out Tonight (1988) - 12. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – The Mercy Seat (1988) - INTERLUDE - 13. Suicide – Girl (1977) - The Glimmering - 14. Jeremy Enigk – Carnival (1996) - 15. The U-Men – Dig It a Hole (1987) - 16. Blondie – Atomic (1979) - 17. Max Frost & the Troopers – Shape of Things to Come (1968)

Disc 3: Lux Sit and Dance
The Dawning - 1. Brave New World – It’s Tomorrow (1967) - 2. Red Cross – Annette’s Got the Hits (1980) - 3. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters – Civilization (1947) - 4. Miles Davis – Helen Butte/Mr. Freedom X (1972) - 5. Nick Drake – Black Eyed Dog (1974) - INTERLUDE - 6. Brian Eno – In Dark Trees (1977) - The Horizon - 7. The Go! Team – Phantom Broadcast (2007) - 8. Os Mutantes – El Justiciero (1971) - 9. Ennio Morricone – Una Pistola Per Ringo (1965) - 10. Syd Barrett – Octopus (1969) - 11. Gilberto Gil – Coragem pra Suportar (1968) - INTERLUDE - 12. James Blackshaw – White Goddess (2005) - The Redemption - 13. Lali Puna – Don’t Think (2001) - 14. Magnet – Gently Johnny (1973) - 15. Donald Byrd – Cristo Redentor (1963) - 16. Violent Green – Beautiful Child (1996) - 17. Tenniscoats – Lutie Lutie (2008) - 18. Karen O and the Kids – All is Love (2009)


 Liner Notes: 

 The Breakup
There’s a string that hangs from the sky – The air on that night was tempered like a knife – She’s making me feel like I’ve never been born – And if it’s not love, then it’s the Bomb that will bring us together

The Breakdown
You can tell me about your prison stay – Your red hair’s burning. Yellow jokes come out of your mind – A slim pixie, thin and forlorn – Your last friend alive – Can save me from this darkness – I love you. I really do

The Breaking
When I look out my window, what do you think I see? – The messenger of your doom and your destruction – I got my feet in the window, got my head on the ground – Exit this Roman shell! – Something is nothing. Nothing is Nothing – I don’t want to set the world on fire, I just want to start a flame in your heart

The Party
Fire, to destroy all that you’ve done – I was born in this town, lived here my whole life – See the girl on the TV dressed in a Bikini? She doesn’t think so, but she’s dressed for the H-Bomb – Declare guerre nucleaire – If I don’t start cryin’, it’s because that I have got no eyes

The Shit
Her pale face, it shakes my bones – People gonna think, yes they’re gonna think you’re a spazz – He’s hackin’ and wackin’ and smackin’, he just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat – The clock hurries like a terrified animal and stops, dribbling saliva – They are sick breath gathering at my hind

The Glimmer
The Lines made me perfect and came then. The light gave me dark – Wrapped in burlap, soaked in sweat, it’s ready to Grow! – Make it magnificent. Tonight, make me tonight – Let the old world make believe it’s blind and deaf and dumb, but nothing can change the shape of things to come

The Dawning
I don’t know where I am, and I don’t know who I am – Muscle Beach party, California sun – Don’t want no bright lights, false teeth, doorbells, landlords, I make it clear – The black eyed dog, he called at my door. The black eyed dog, he called for more

The Wasteland
The shadow of a strong man, with a gun in his hand, raised to protect the poor people of the hacienda – Meant even less to me than I thought, with a honey plough of yellow prickly seeds, clover honey pots and mystic, shining feed – Even those who have no courage to resist, have to find the courage to resist

The Redemption
I’m too slow for your talking, so quick your mouth moves – I put my hand on her belly, and she said, do you want to fill me? – Come back to me, beautiful child – Lutie, Lutie – Holes in history is where you’ll find me

Personal Note: I had a great time creating this for Brady. The mix came together pretty quickly, over a single evening under the influence of a lot of liquor. The packaging took a lot longer, but once I had the idea, it came together fairly rapidly. Part of me wishes I would have made two of them, so I could keep one!

Brady, I hope you like it.

I put many pics and too much information about the process of creating this here.

6 comments:

  1. Jacob, this looks so epically righteous. Puts mine to shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Way! Yours is awesome. I'm super psyched to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacob -don't worry, i haven't forgotten about commenting...I'm just trying to formulate a response as epic as your mix!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob- this is beyond killer. Excited to give it some listens and inspect the album art more closely. Holy shit dude!

    Also, where did you get the ashes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: ashes: Sara's uncle gathered the ashes off his car when he was living I think in Idaho in 1980. They were in a small Mason jar that was labelled with a Sharpie. I've had it sitting on a bookshelf as just some weird display thing for years. It felt appropriate to use a few scoops for this project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't post about this mix, people gonna think, people gonna think you're SPAZZ!!!!!!!! ya already knew it was true though. good god Jacob this thing is incredible. From the bottle if Mt.St.Helen's ashes, to the little scrolled tracklisting, to the seal in russian or something, to disc 1 2 AND 3 I couldn't believe how astoundingly killer this was. Honestly, I still haven't given a proper listen to disc 3 because discs 1 and 2 were too damned bitchin. Disc 1 "I dont want to set the world on fire," has got to be my fav - there's a chunk of awesome in the middle that i repeat over and over. The white fence song sounds like it's old in agood way but isn't, i spent an entire afternoon with "superstar" by sONIC youth (carpenters cover) on repeat because it blew my mind. LOVE LOVE LOVE that last (title) track too. IN ADDITION disc 2 "This is the line of division "- OOF so many apocalyptic jams on here. adore "kerosene" which I sort of already knew but had never owned before. Genesis by Justice - what's that? so intriguing! "Spazz" = bitchin. I totally almost put blondie's atomic on my mix too haha. JACOB THIS IS SO GREAT EVERYONE YOU SHOULD GET IT FROM THE DROPBOX. I'll try to post up some detailed pics of the unveiling which happened right after i got back from doe bay. score!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.