Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Your Mongrel Mind

Recipient: Jessi Reed




Track Listing: 


I'm a bit ashamed to be posting this after seeing the complexity and packaging of Jacob's mix for Brady. Ah well, next time. 


Personal note on the execution of this mix:

Once I began brainstorming, a deluge of apocalypse appropriate songs filled my brain. I tried to widdle them down to the best songs and into the most cohesive mix I could. I'm a lyric person, so many of my choices were based on on relevance and/or intensity of lyrics. I also included a few songs about wolves since Jessi seemed a bit fixated on her fictional wolf friend. The mix is primarily focused on the experience of the apocalypse, from start to (maybe) end. Many of these songs can be thought of as representing one or multiple emotions, ranging from urgency, fear, humor, trepidation, despair, paranoia, sadness, resignation, and peace. I don't think there is one song on here that I don't love or that doesn't totally slay me. Although I'd already given them my own prescribed meaning, this project added a different layer and let me see them in a new way. In other words, I really enjoyed it. 

2 comments:

  1. Since receiving it in the mail, I have been giving this mix some hard listens. Upon first take, the compilation struck me as very raw and wolfish- with kind of haunted feel about it, which I like. From the opening Low track, the stage is set for a creepy, death-filled, melancholy compilation. I listened to the first half of the mix about 6 times before I could make it on to the second half (Anna- I really like your inclusion of that Kate Bush song… one of my favs.)

    When I finally was able to move on to the second half, I started to feel the weight of the mix… from the moments of chaos and intensity, to the more quiet lingering songs: the urgency of the apocalypse is seen through different eyes and sung through different voices.

    That Damien Jurado song in particular kills me… I don’t have any of his stuff and now I am obsessed. The National track is another I keep playing over and over. Excited to keep listening to it and peeling away more layers of this very awesome, and very well-thought out doomsday mix. Thanks Anna!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you liked it, and that you found it wolfish. I actually kept going back and forth between that National song and another one of theirs that is equally apocalyptic. This project made me realize that the entirety of their album, "High Violet", is full of doom, and I'd highly recommend it. The Damien Jurado song is off his (possibly) best album, "Caught In The Trees," which I'd also highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.