IMPENDING DOOM
Recipient: Anna Kronzer
1. Boys Next Door - "Shivers" -- The very first line of this song says it all. I've loved this song since I first heard it played in the movie "Dogs In Space" (starring a young [and alive] Michael Hutchence)
2. Cat Stevens - "Trouble" -- Another song that hit me when I heard it played in a movie, this time "Harold and Maude"
3. The Awkward Stage - "Dandelion" -- This is a very beautiful song written and performed by my friend Shane. Dandelions seem very apocalyptic to me, kind of like cockroaches. “Feet that have trampled you, and the bees that have sampled you” is my favourite couplet in this song.
4. Bauhaus - "All We Ever Wanted Was Everything" -- I just really wanted to include a Bauhaus song on this mix, but I thought it would be too easy to just include one of their darker songs. I've always loved this song...it sounds so happy, but... Eat jelly, sandwich bars and barbed wire!
5. Curtis Mayfield - "Pusherman" -- Hmmmm...I think I put this on here just because I've been buying Curtis Mayfield vinyl lately and he deserves to be heard! Plus, everyone should watch Superfly!
6. Echo & The Bunnymen - "The Killing Moon" -- Heartbreaking song I've always loved...
7. Firebug - "Influenza Tropical" -- Needed something not so dark, so how about a cozy little Brazilian ska song to break things up. The name of the song still invokes apocalypsus!
8. Dinosaur Jr. - "Freak Scene" -- I don't think J. Mascis has ever written a happy song, not that he ever should...just sayin'.
9. Joy Division - "Dead Souls" -- This has been my favourite Joy Division song since I first heard it when I was 16 years old (that's a looooong time!).
10. The Pogues - "Haunted" -- I was actually looking for Shane Macgowan's solo version of this song, but I couldn't find it. Still, one of the few later Pogues songs I really like.
11. Portastatic - "Through With People" -- I'm through with people. Sometimes I totally agree...
12. Sonic Youth - "Expressway To Yr. Skull (Madonna, Sean And Me)" -- Cheeky title for one of my fave Sonic Youth songs.
13. Minutemen - "This Ain't No Picnic" -- Was talking about this song with my friend and how much we love it, and how we were going to play a cover of it next time our band plays.
14. Van Halen - "Runnin' With The Devil" -- This song reminds me of living in California in the 70s and 80s; my friend's brother had a Datsun pickup truck that he would park in his driveway and blast this album out of the truck. I hated it back then, but have come to love it!
15. Claw Hammer - "The People in my Peephole" -- I couldn't make a mix tape without putting a song from my favorite band, and this song is very dark. "Can you trust a preacher with a boner under his book? Can you trust a doctor with a smile under his mask?"
16. The Sundays - “Here’s Where The Story Ends” -- walked into a cafe a couple of weeks ago and this song was playing. Was very significant for me. I hope to have a little souvenir of this terrible year...
17. Fruit Bats - "Beautiful Morning Light" -- My current obsession...just love listening to this song and playing it. I wanted to end this compilation on a positive note!

Liam, I've listened to yer mix several times now and it's great! For an apocalyptic themed mix, it's really beautiful and pretty light-hearted, at least it seems like it to me. I love that Cat Stevens song. And the Bauhaus. And the Joy Division., etc.
ReplyDeleteFirst and foremost, Liam, I'm sorry it took me so long to comment on this, especially since it's such an excellent mix of music. I feel at once reminded of songs I've forgotten about and love("Killing Moon" is so good and I always forget about it) and totally mind blown about things I didn't know about. For example, The Boys Next Door; I'm a pretty big Nick Cave fan and never knew about them! I've also always had a difficult time getting into The Birthday Party because of their inaccessibility, but this seems like a much better fit for me to further my Cave education. Thank you! It's almost shocking how sincere this song is for him. I love it.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'd have to agree with Jacob and say that a lot of this seems almost light-hearted...or maybe even raucaus. More of a thrashy, party take on apocalypse, which I appreciate. I love that you included "Trouble" and kicking myself for not having thought of putting that on my mix. I completely agree that dandelions are apocalyptic, especially when you've got lines like, "...before long will come a day, when all that is golden is gray." Love the inclusion of Curtis and was pleasantly surprised by it. Also love the choice of a more obscure Bauhaus track. Fire-who?! That song is great! And I too have a soft spot for Fruit Bats.
Your transitions on here are really great too, which I think is one of the most important aspects of mix-tape-making. Maybe even as important as song choice. And I love the various antecdotes about how these songs have fit into your life.
Thank you so much for this! It's wonderful!
Thanks Jake! Thanks Anna!
ReplyDeleteI had fun making it, in spite of my tardiness!
I'd be happy to burn that Boys Next Door album for you if you want. It's pretty good.
Cheers!
Liam, that would be great! Thanks again!
ReplyDelete